Thursday, March 26

Government needing a message to get serious about 'Food Safety'

Hi Folks:
I just received this from Jim Thompson, Advocate on Food Security and because of the importance of food to all of us I thought you should have it.

Dear Michael,

I think you’ll be shocked when you read this message.

I attended yesterday’s first meeting of the Parliamentary committee that’s investigating food safety.

Before even beginning to work, the Conservative MPs on the committee totally hijacked the meeting with procedural tricks that allowed them, and only them, to keep talking until the clock ran out.

Please join me in sending a message to tell the Conservatives to stop playing politics with the safety of our food!

No one but the Conservatives got a word in and there was zero progress on getting on with the job of making our food safety system better.

As far as I can tell, the Conservatives plan to continue to prevent this committee from doing its job – ever.

I hope you will join me in sending a message to tell Prime Minister Harper to stop playing politics with our food safety system. Please send the PM a message to urge him to rein in his MPs so the committee can get on with the job of making our food safety system better.

Yours sincerely,

Jim Thompson

P.S. In addition to hijacking the meeting, the Conservatives seem to be trying to hide information from the parliamentary committee as well, according to a report in today’s Ottawa Citizen.

You may contact Jim at advocacy@foodsafetyfirst.ca or email me and I will send you his letter and link.
Michael Cormican

No comments: