With an election call likely in the coming months or next year, I would like to respond to questions raised with respect to the Conservative Government’s performance; as well as to the question “why vote Liberal?”.
1. Liberals are fiscally responsible, and keep their word; e.g. they said they would and cut the huge deficit inherited in 1993, and were the only G-8 country to post balanced budgets in their last 9 years in office.
2. Liberals strive for a fair and sustainable balance between individual interest and the best interests of all Canadians. The current government does not see this as a priority.
3. A Liberal Government will:
• work for a vibrant and sustainable economy and sustainable environment,
• maintain universality in health care and education; enhance literacy and skills development, and re-establish a proper child development program,
• maintain transparency and responsible accountability, including reparation for victims of the Income Trust fiasco generated by the government last November, and
• return to Canada’s international development and support role as soon as we complete our commitment in Afghanistan in February 2009.
Michael Cormican, Liberal Candidate, Lethbridge Riding September 10, 2007